TKAT Leadership in Action
Provided by TKAT
This programme is well-established at TKAT. It is designed to allow middle leaders from a number of different schools to work together to enhance their leadership skills, creating a tier of middle leaders in schools that are inspirational, innovative and imaginative.
The programme has 6 modules designed to support middle leaders to develop their leadership qualities and skills:
Session 1 Coaching
- Understanding the difference between coaching and mentoring
- Identifying the benefits of coaching for both coach and those being coached
- Being able to confidently coach a colleague
Session 2 Leadership Styles
- Understanding the differences between leadership and management
- The characteristics of effective leaders
- Understanding leadership competencies and knowing your own key strengths and areas for development
Session 3 Leading a Team
- Knowing yourself; Knowing your team
- What outstanding teams look like
- Accountability and professional dialogue
Session 4 Leading Teaching and Learning
- Securing understanding of T&L components and the role they play in Quality First Teaching
- Making accurate judgements and giving effective and constructive feedback to improve performance
- Quality Assurance systems
- Moving T&L forward
Session 5 Change and Continuous Improvement
- Understand difference between improvement, innovation and transformation
- Identify the components of successful change
- Understand how middle leaders lead change
Session 6 Mapping your Future
- Securing outstanding and the priorities for change
- Preparing for promotion
- Leadership Project
'The delivery of this programme was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed the sessions. They were structured and organised brilliantly and it was really useful to be able to have the opportunity to reflect on my practice and identify areas where my performance could be improved'
This programme enables middle leaders to consider the qualities and skills needed in an outstanding middle leader and to develop them in a supportive but challenging environment. This programmes mixes theory and practical elements and ensures participants can have an impact in their departments immediately.
This programme is suitable for new, as well as more experienced, middle leaders. The Leadership in Action programme is a good foundation for the NPQML, Teaching Leaders flagship programmes or their bespoke schools' offer.
This programme is designed to be delivered in 6 x 2 hour twilight sessions over the course of a term. The delivery model is flexible however and can be adapted to meet individual cohorts' needs.
Various regional venues.
This programme is free.